At WJCS, we empower every volunteer to reach their full caring potential by providing them with opportunities to share time and skills with our clients. Flexible, meaningful opportunities are available in many WJCS programs to help others, assist with office functions, or share talents and skills.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, WJCS has moved to remote operations wherever possible. This includes the agency’s volunteer opportunities. Virtual volunteers are in high demand! See below for current volunteer opportunities and ways you can safely help WJCS serve your Westchester neighbors until we can all be together again.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities:
- Shop our Target registry and send basic necessities to our headquarters. Our staff will get these items to families in need. CLICK HERE FOR TARGET REGISTRY.
- Care calls have become a major tool in combating feelings of intense isolation for clients in our community residences and many of the seniors in our programs.
- Our Compeer program is functioning remotely! Compeer creates one-to-one matches with volunteers and individuals going through a tough time. Volunteers provide supportive friendship, advocacy, increased social interaction, serve as positive role models and help with access to educational and recreational activities in the community.
- Center Lane, Westchester’s only LGBTQ+ youth community center is looking for volunteers with skills they would like to share with clients. Skills like resume building, interviewing, nutrition, and fitness are especially appreciated.
- Contribute to our virtual library by sending us content! We’re looking for simple no-shopping-required tutorials or DIY projects as well as videos of storybook reading, joke telling, or sharing an inspiring family or cultural story. All content should be family friendly.
- Homemade face masks are needed throughout WJCS! While these masks are not medical grade, they offer some degree of protection and are less intimidating for kids and others wary of face coverings. Try one of these easy tutorials: https://www.nytimes.com/video/well/100000007078467/homemade-face-mask-tutorial.html or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRfhuRNua_E
- Send some joy to seniors in our programs! Pictures, poems, or happy messages… Whatever you are inspired to create to spread joy. We will put your message of joy with the seniors home delivered meal.
For masks and senior joys, please mail directly to the WJCS Headquarters, Attn Charlotte Cobbs, 845 North Broadway, White Plains, NY 10603
In-person (but socially distanced) Volunteer Opportunities:
- Grocery pick-up from a designated store and delivering to a location to pack for clients in need in Yonkers, NY.
- Grocery packing & delivery for our senior program in Mount Vernon. Volunteers will be packing grocery deliveries at our headquarters in White Plains and delivering these packages and Kosher meals seniors’ doorsteps throughout Westchester.
Our annual Back to School Drive is in full-swing!
Last year we were able to help over 700 kids in Westchester start the new school year off right. You can donate directly to our Back to School Drive or contact our Database & Volunteer Coordinator, Alexandra Luciano, at [email protected] for more ways to get involved in this drive! DONATE HERE.
Lastly, you can donate directly to WJCS’s COVID-19 relief fund here, and be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates on how we continue to serve Westchester’s most vulnerable.
If you are looking to volunteer at this time please click here to complete our online form, you will be contacted by someone from our volunteer department shortly.