10 Reasons to Fill Out the 2020 Census Form
The 2020 Census is happening amidst a pandemic, which may lead you to want to put anything that does not appear to be directly related to COVID-19 in the back of your mind. However, the importance of the Census cannot be overlooked, even during these uncertain and difficult times. In fact, at a time when social services are needed more than ever, it is vitally important to do your part in making sure the data captured by the 2020 Census is accurate. Here’s why you should fill out the Census form:
1. Accurate Census data helps to ensure your community is equipped to respond to emergencies. Population data collected by the Census is crucial in determining the distribution of emergency funding used to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak across the country as well as to handle future emergency needs.
2. It’s easy. The Census can be filled out in a number of different ways: online, over the phone, or by mail. You can choose which method is easiest for you and respond to the 2020 Census on your own time, in your own home, while remaining socially distant.
3. It’s accessible. You can fill out the Census in any of 13 languages. You can also find guides in American Sign Language, braille, and large print.
4. It’s quick. Not only is it easy to fill out your 2020 Census, it’s quick too. The Census only asks 10 questions and will take less than 10 minutes of your day to complete via any of the methods mentioned above.
5. Your information matters. The information you provide matters, make sure you’re counted! Questions are asked about your age, race, ethnicity, and sex. Having accurate measures of these demographics paints a real picture of your community. Age data is used to plan and fund government programs that provide assistance or services for specific age groups, such as children, working-age adults, or seniors.
6. It impacts our representation in government. Results from the 2020 Census will be used to determine the number of seats each state has in Congress and your political representation at all levels of government.
7. It impacts federal funding. Population data influences how many helps to direct billions of dollars in federal funds are directed to local communities for schools, roads, and other public services.
8. It impacts businesses in your community.
Business owners rely on Census results to make decisions, such as where to open new stores, restaurants, factories, or offices, where to expand operations, where to recruit employees, and which products and services to offer.
9. It’s safe. The Census will not ask you for your Social Security number, money or donations, anything on behalf of a political party, your bank or credit card account numbers, or anything about your citizenship status.
10. It’s confidential. Your personal information is kept confidential—bound by federal law. Your data is compiled with information from other homes to produce statistics, which never identify your home or any person in your home. The Census Bureau cannot release any identifiable information about you, your home, or your business, even to law enforcement agencies. The law ensures that your private data is protected and that your answers cannot be used against you by any government agency or court.
Filling out your 2020 Census is an easy, quick, and safe way to do something positive for your community. We’re all in this together.
Respond to the Census!
Online: www.my2020census.gov • By phone: (844) 330-2020