Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for insomnia CourseDate: February 6, 2018
Time: 8:30 am - 10:00 am
141 North Central Avenue
Hartsdale, NY 10530
Phone: 914-949-6761 x474
Email: [email protected]
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for insomnia (CBTi) Course
Date: 2/6/18, 2/13/18, 2/20/18
Time: 8:30-10:00 AM
Enrollment Limited: 20 Contact Hours: 4.5 CEU’s: 4.5
Insomnia is defined as poor sleep that is associated with distress and/or daytime consequences, including impairment in functioning or mood. Insomnia can lead to poor mental health, or can be a consequence of poor mental health. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for insomnia (CBTi) is an empirically validated brief psychotherapy with evidence of long-term improvements in sleep for people with and without psychiatric comorbidities. CBTi addresses behavioral components to sleep (e.g. stimulus control, sleep restriction therapy), cognitive components (beliefs about sleep and sleep related anxiety), and physiological components (reducing hyperarousal). In this three-part course, participants will be introduced to the rationale for CBTi, learn the tools involved in implementing it, and become familiar with how to manage common comorbidities and challenges in implementation.
Method: Lecture, discussion.
- Understand the sleep cycle and common patterns of normal and disordered sleep
- Understand Spielman's model and the difference between predisposing, precipitating and perpetuating factors in insomnia
- Identify which clients would be appropriate candidates for CBTi
- Learn how to teach stimulus control and sleep restriction therapy to clients
- Learn about the cognitive component to insomnia and how to address it with clients
- Become familiar with how common psychiatric comorbidities may influence CBTi
Instructor: Rachel Held, PhD
Location: 141 North Central Avenue, Hartsdale
Westchester Jewish Community Services SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0067.
Please note: When the course is a multi-day or multi-part course/educational activity, the learner must complete all parts in order to earn the certificate for contact hours. Partial credit will not be awarded for a program, even a one-day program if all requirements are not completed at that time.
Refund Policy: Refundable up to 2 weeks prior to start date.